EMAIL BAG QUESTIONS:
Marcus’ question: How to exercise your dog in the house: Click Here
Ari’s email: Fast eaters
If your dog is crazy about food, and doing homework (like sit or down) before feeding, makes your dog crazy and causes them to eat in the wrong “frame of mind”, try this feeding ritual instead:
- Split a feeding into 4 small feeding bowls
- Don’t be too structured before feeding
- After the food is prepared, wait ….
- When you see your dog settle their nervous system down, praise lightly and slowly put the food down
- After she finishes that ¼ of her meal, watch for more settling behavior, once you see it “praise” or verbally mark that settling behavior and put the second bowl down
- Follow that process for meals and see if this experiment helps your dog learn to settle more with feedings.
Here’s the link to the article on slow feed bowls too: Click Here
Recall the 4 phases of obedience with puppies:
THE STUFF IN THIS PODCAST
Phase 1: Luring and basic teaching
Phase 2: beginning to challenge with time and distraction
STUFF WE’LL COVER NEXT PODCAST
Phase 3: Beginning to challenge what you’re doing while they do the exercise and shift where your reinforcing treats are placed in training
Phase 4: Challenging all elements in the progression of difficulty and moving the intermittent reinforce to later in the exercise arc.