EMAIL BAG SECTION:
Emails Questions – what should I do when my puppy goes crazy around other dogs (not aggressive) but totally disregards me, won’t listen and plays too rough?
Answer: Work on 3 areas:
1. The approach
Use the follow me game in “approach and retreat” to have your puppy go up to other puppies and dogs at your speed and not their speed.
2. Hanging out near other puppies and dogs
Encourage and coach friendly dog body language. Some of these behaviors are:
- Relaxed ground sniffing
- Averting eyes
- Head turning
- Squinting or blinking faster
- Side facing other dogs
- Spontaneously sitting or downing
- Lip licking
3. Actual interaction
Interrupt with water or air sprayers for:
- Rough play
- Not stopping when another dog yelps or gives in
Dogs over 7-8 months old
New Year’s 21 day behavior challenge
1) Increase your dog’s exercise: two times a day get your dog’s tongue hanging out
Here’s the blog article about doing this.
2) Feed one of your dog’s meals via a food dispensing toy Here’s the blog article about doing this
3) Work on one moderately challenging obedience skill and one behavior modification every day